Friday, April 27, 2012

Author Interview with Leslie DuBois

I'm so excited that I had the privilege of interviewing Leslie DuBois, who in my eyes, is the Queen of Interracial Romance, and also one of my favorite authors.  Now, you can get to know the Queen for yourself.


Q. Using only one word, how would you describe the books written by Leslie DuBois?  How about the books that are written by Sybil Nelson?


For Leslie DuBois I would choose the word intense and for Sybil Nelson, fun.


Q. "Ain't No Sunshine" was the first book that I ever read by you and I fell in love with it.  How did you come up with the storyline for that book?  


I have a friend from El Salvador and she has like twenty something first cousins. She always says she will never marry someone from El Salvador because they’ll probably end up being her cousin. So I started to think about what would happen if someone fell in love first and then discovered that they were closely related.


Q. I've read three of your novels, but I own six of them, so I consider myself a huge fan.  In the books that I've read (Ain't No Sunshine, The Queen Bee of Bridgeton, and Nothing Else Matters), I noticed that you tackle some very heavy issues; do you ever worry about what people with think or say about the issues you tackle?


I just write the story that I think needs to be told. I try not to worry about what other people will think. I can tell from the reviews that some people don’t like the subjects that I write about. So I’ve just stopped reading the reviews. I have to stay true to myself and write what moves me.


Q. Out of all the novels that you've written (Leslie and Sybil books), which is your favorite book?


My favorite is Nothing Else Matters. I just feel it is such a powerful book. A lot of the emotion I wrote in there really hits home for me. The incident that happens is similar to something that I experienced while in college at a predominantly white school. The way Reyna handled it is the way I wish I could have at that point.


Q. Who is your favorite character that you've ever created for one of your Leslie DuBois books?  Why?


I like Reyna from Nothing Else Matters. I feel like she is a stronger version of me. I also really like Stu from Nothing Else Matters. He is just so pure and honest and true to himself. And he’s completely hysterical.


Q. What book are you currently reading?


I am currently reading a Rick Riordan book The Sea of Monsters. It’s how I get in the mood to write my middle grade fiction.


Q. How many books would you like to read for the year of 2012?  How many have you read so far?


My goal was to read 100 books this year I think. I’ve gotten really behind because of school. I think I’ve completed five so far. I’m going on a seven day cruise next month, I hope to triple that number at least.


Q. This semester I'm taking An Adaptation class for school, which is where we learn how to turn novels into film, and believe it or not "Ain't No Sunshine" inspired me to take this class because I so desperately wanted to learn how to turn this book into a film.  Could you actually see any of the books that you've written being made into a feature film?  Also, if you could choose one of your books, which one would you choose to have an Adaptation to?


Definitely Ain’t No Sunshine. I think it would make an awesome movie along the lines of The Usual Suspects and The Rich Man’s Wife. If I had time, I’d write the script for it myself. Unfortunately, I barely have time to sleep let alone start another project. I woke up at five this morning to work on some homework and write this interview! So if you feel you can do it, have at it.


Q. At what age did you know you wanted to write?


When I was 9, I won a short story contest. That was all it took.


Q. What advice would you give to any aspiring writers out there?


Write every day. The more you write, the easier it becomes. Never leave the house without a book to read and a book to write.


Q. The next book on my list to read is "Guardian of Eden", what can I expect from that book?  Am I going to have the wind knocked out of me like I did when I got to the end of "Nothing Else Matters"; because the ending of that book really shocked me!!


 I think the biggest shock comes right at the beginning of that book. But the ending is pretty shocking as well. It’s not fall out of your chair shocking like Ain’t No Sunshine and Nothing Else Matters, though.


Q. Lastly, can you please let all of your fans know what you're currently working on?


I am currently working on the third book in the Dancing Dream series and a spin-off series from the Priscilla the Great world. I have an idea for a very emotional Leslie DuBois book after I finish these. I can’t wait to get started on it.


Click here to visit Leslie DuBois' website.
Click here to purchase Leslie DuBois' books.

No comments: