Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Author Interview with Jackie Pilossoph

After reading Jackie's novel, Jackpot!, I just had to get an interview with the brilliant lady herself to find out exactly how the plot of Jackpot! became to be.  After reading her novel, I'm sure you'd be asking yourself, "If someone offered me $8,000,000 to have a baby, would I?"  Well, I got to ask Jackie that question, including others, but her answer for that particular question may shock you.


Q. What inspired the plot for your novel, Jackpot!?


Several years ago, a friend of mine was telling me about a very wealthy couple who gave each of their children a million dollars every time they had a baby. I thought it sounded so unreal, and would make a great book! But then I wanted my characters to really need the money (not already be wealthy) so that it would make them more desperate to have babies. But truly, Jackpot! is more than just an off-the-wall concept. It is two love stories-Jamie's and Danny's and I love telling heartfelt, sweet, inspiring love stories.


Q. If someone offered you 8 million dollars to have another baby, would you take that offer?


Honestly, I love babies so much, I'd have a baby for free (if I wasn't too old.) I have two children, 8 and 10 and they are the highlights of my life. If I could have had 10 more I would have!!


Q. I read on your website that Jackpot! is under management and being shopped for a feature film, did you have any dealings with the script or did you allow someone to write the script for you?


The script hasn't been written yet. The book itself was optioned. I hope to either be a co-writer of the script, or be given the opportunity to write it. Most important to me, would be to see Jackpot! on the big screen.


Q. At what age did you realize you wanted to write?


I didn't become a creative writer until I was 36 years old! I have a masters degree in Journalism and I wrote for television news when I was younger, but I didn't start writing novels and screenplays until after my son was born (10 years ago) and I was a stay at home mom for the first time in my life. I was bored and when he was napping, I would write. I loved it and it was really fun for me, just a hobby. Writing became my obsession a couple years after that, when I realized I wasn't happy unless I was writing!


Q. In the film, who would you cast as the leads for Jackpot!?


I could see Mila Kunis as Jamie, and Channning Tatum as Danny or Drew. I also think it would be great if I could get Kate Hudson and Goldie Hawn to play mother and daughter. Meryl Streep would be a great Frankie, though.


Q. Do you have a writing ritual, if so what is it?


I don't really have a ritual because my schedule keeps changing, depending what I'm working on. But, if I'm into something (like really into it) I seriously can't stop. I did a re-write for someone last week and completed it in 24 hours. I stayed up all night because I was so obsessed, I couldn't stop writing! I love waking up at 5 a.m and working on stuff then.  


Q. What book are you currently reading?


Fifty Shades of Gray!! Who isn't reading that right now??!! I'm halfway through it and can't even begin to form an opinion. I think I'm in shock.


Q. How many books have you read for this year?  Do you have a certain amount of books you'd like to read for this year?


Honestly, I'm not a huge reader!! I'm much more of a movie viewer, which is why a lot of my books read like a movie script. I do love to read, don't get me wrong, but I only average about one book a month. I think it's because half the time, I'm watching movies or tv shows to write reviews about, but also, when I do sit down to read a book, it's usually my own! In other words, I'm editing my new book, or I'm writing a new book. Pretty ironic.


Q. What is the most challenging part about being a writer? What is the most rewarding thing?


Hands down, the most challenging thing is trying to get your book out there so people know about it. It's frustrating when you don't have the advertising budget and contacts to get the book into the mainstream. I spend so much time marketing my books, just to let people know about them. The most rewarding thing is the actual writing of the book. The sense of creating people and what they do, how they behave when faced with obstacles in life, how they react to what happens to them, how they deal with their love lives, etc. I love when they screw up and fix things. I love when they do something that makes them proud of themselves, I love making them handle adversity with courage. And, it's a small thing, but I love naming characters.


Q. What book is your all time favorite book?


This is way too hard to answer. There are just too many that I love. But, if you come down to my storage room in the basement, all the books I loved too much to give away are in there.


Q. What can your fans expect next? Are you currently working on a novel?


My next novel, "Free Gift With Purchase" should be available soon! I'm so excited I can't stand it! I think I like it the best of all three of my books. It's about two sisters who are in their early forties. One is a widow and one is getting divorced and they move in together. And they date. And date and date! The relationships are so hilarious, but also they are heartwarming, heartbreaking, and inspiring. To watch these girls grow and really get their lives together is so fulfilling! But I have to warn you, it is very different than my first two books. Many more real life issues. Still laugh out loud funny and very romantic, though. Just much more real.


Q. What advice do you have for aspiring writers?


Write during the worst times of your life! It will help you get through it and it will be your best writing. Write during the best times of your life. It will help you remember and appreciate it more, and it will be your best writing.


Click here to purchase Jackie's books.
Click here to visit Jackie's website.

No comments: