Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Review: Between You & Me

Title:  Between You & Me
Author:  Marisa Calin
Genre:  Young Adult
Publisher:  Bloomsbury USA Childrens
Release Date:  August 7, 2012
File Size/Pages:  1799 KB/256 pgs
Source:  NetGalley   

My Rating5/5

Summary:  Phyre knows there is something life-changing about her new drama teacher, Mia, from the moment they meet. As Phyre rehearses for the school play, she comes to realize that the unrequited feelings she has for Mia go deeper than she's ever experienced. Especially with a teacher. Or a woman. All the while, Phyre's best friend-addressed throughout the story in the second person, as "you"-stands by, ready to help Phyre make sense of her feelings. But just as Mia doesn't understand what Phyre feels, Phyre can't fathom the depth of her best friend's feelings...until it's almost too late for a happy ending. Characters come to life through the innovative screenplay format of this dazzling debut, and unanswered questions-is "you" male or female?-will have readers talking.

Review:  There were so many things about this novel that caught my eye that had me crossing my fingers that I'd get a chance to read it! First, I love the front cover of this novel; immediately it made me want to get to know the person that was on it. Secondly, I loved the synopsis for this book!! Last, but certainly not least, I love the fact that this novel was written in screenplay format!! Phyre, the main character, is a 16-year-old girl who has a passion for acting, and after she meets her drama teacher, Mia, she suddenly has a passion for her too. Phyre's best friend, You, was an incredible character; it was definitely bittersweet not knowing the gender of You. Of course the curiosity is killing you to know whether or not You is male or female, but it was quite entertaining and it made me feel more involved with the novel. As the story goes on, it becomes a play within a play, which I also enjoyed. Phyre's character can be related to very easily; when you're sixteen, most people do have crushes on their teachers, and although Phyre's crush on Mia seemed more like an obsession at times, it was nice to see how she dealt with her crush on Mia. As an aspiring screenwriter/author, I appreciated this novel to the highest; I have so much respect for Marisa Calin and I think this was a brilliant novel!!

1 comment:

Carole said...

Hi there, the October edition of Books You Loved is live. Here is the link Books You Loved October Edition Please do pop by and link in a post about a book you loved. Maybe this one? Cheers

PS I am a follower of your blog. I know you have linked in before, too – which is great. Would you consider following Carole's Chatter back – or are you already?