Friday, November 16, 2012

Review: Bouquet Toss

Title:  Bouquet Toss
Author:  Melissa Brown
Genre:  Womens Fiction
Publisher:  n/a
Release Date:  September 4, 2012
File Size/Pages:  389 KB/274 pgs
Source:  Author for review
My Rating4/5

Summary:  Ever since Daphne Harper graduated from college, all of her friends have fallen in love, become engaged and walked down the aisle. Be it a blessing or a curse, Daphne (a hopeless romantic and perpetual single girl) catches the bouquet at every single wedding she attends. Daphne’s love life is a mess. Her first love, Mayson, haunts her heart and keeps her from pursuing happiness with any man who comes along. As she struggles to move on from the one who got away, Daphne wonders if she will ever break her curse and find her happily ever after.

Review:  The main character, Daphne Harper, is a hopeless romantic, but she's single. Everyone around her seems to be getting married, including her best friend, Elise. During Elise's wedding, we learn that Daphne is cursed (or blessed) with always catching the bouquet at her friend's weddings. Also, she rekindles with her ex-boyfriend, Mayson Holt. As the story goes on, we meet an array of characters:  Morgan (Daphne's lovely cousin), Matt (Morgan's boyfriend), Evan, Tanner, and more of Daphne's failed attempts at breaking her curse. It was shocking to read this book, because I related to Daphne's character to a great extent. For example, most of my friend's from high school (and the few that I've made in college) are already married, getting married, or already have the person they want to marry. And me? I have the wonderful pleasure of living vicariously through the characters I read/write about. Not that I'm complaining, but I understood where Daphne was coming from. There was a friendship in this book that I was sort of wary about in the beginning, but it ended up turning out well. I would've loved it if Daphne's character was a bit stronger, emotionally speaking, but I don't want to spoil it for the readers! Overall, I thought this was a good read; I love when I can connect with a character as well as I connected with Daphne Harper.

No comments: