Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Book Excerpt: Extreme Measures by Rachel Carrington


Matt threw her a scowl over his shoulder. “This isn’t hiding out, Erin. It’s taking precautionary measures to ensure your safety.”

“Right. Sorry.” She swung her legs around to the foot of the bed and tapped her feet on the floor. “Guess I’m not aware of the difference.” Tension climbed up the back of her neck, crawling under her skin. She needed to get out of that hotel room. “I need to get some air.”

“You’re not leaving this room.”

Matt didn’t care that his words had pissed her off. At that point, they were both on edge. The trouble was, he’d had more experience waiting than she had. Well, that, and he didn’t believe everyone could be changed, deserved a second chance, or any of the other bull Erin did.

“Stuart’s had plenty of time to get here, don’t you think?” Erin changed the subject in that same controlled tone of voice.

“He’s traveling on his own time.” Her breath hissed out, making him look back at her. “What?”

“I hate when you do that.”

“Do what?” Before he asked the question, he knew her response was only going to start a fire they didn’t need at the moment. Or maybe they did. An explosion might be just what they needed to let them both breathe some clean air.

“Try to manage me. You don’t want me to know any more than I absolutely have to, so you speak in obscurities or riddles that don’t make sense.” She gave him a look leveled with scorn. “Since you got here, you’ve been feeding me information in droplets like I’m a piece of china you have to keep wrapped when all I’ve really asked for is the truth.”

His temper starting a slow climb, Matt tried to talk himself out of a confrontation, but hadn’t it been coming? Since the moment he’d walked into that coffee house, all roads had been leading to this moment. The time when they’d stab into the scars and make the wounds bleed again.

He turned to face her, taking in the heightened color on her cheeks. She’d gone into battle mode, too, making him wonder if it was intentional. Did she need the distraction? Or was she ready to remove the grafts that had only partially healed?

“The truth is your brother is a murderer, and they rarely operate on anyone’s timetable but their own.”

“Why did you come here?”

The question unsettled him. Hadn’t they already covered that? “To do my job.”

“There are hundred of guys who could do your job if catching Stuart was all this was about. You came because you wanted to see me or, rather, you wanted me to see you. Did you want the chance to throw my life off balance again?”

“Again?” Matt stalked toward her, the collar of his shirt tight against the veins bulging in his neck. “I wasn’t the one who threw it off balance before, Erin. That was your doing. You wanted the divorce. You wanted to separate yourself from everything that had anything to do with the life you had before your parents’ death. You chose to walk away. Not me.”

About Rachel


I started writing years ago, and my first attempt was a contemporary romance that will never see the light of day. I think I may even have thrown it away by now. It was absolutely horrific as I knew nothing about wellanything to do with writing.
After that, I started writing fantasy romances about wizards and wizards, and once those took off, I segued to paranormal romances (hello, vampires and ghosts) and romantic suspense. I also write articles for various magazines, including The Writer’s Journal, Writer’s Magazine, Writer’s Weekly, Writing for Dollars, Absolute Write, and Funds for Writers. I’m fortunate to make my home in historical Charleston, South Carolina. Beautiful city. Beautiful people. When I’m not writing, I love to read, create videos, keep Target in business, play visitor in my city, and drink lots of coffee. You can find me all over the internet, but here are just a few of the places:

My website: www.dawnrachel.com
Twitter@rcarrington2004
Facebook: rachelcarringtonwrites
Pinterest: rcarrington2004
Goodreads: rcarrington2004
Wattpad: http://wattpad.com/RachelCarrington http://www.booksie.com/RachelCarrington


No comments: