Thursday, November 6, 2014

Interview with Seth King


Seth King is a twenty-five-year-old American author and model. He enjoys reading, lifting weights, spending time with his nieces and nephews, playing the piano, and bondage. His family calls him Seth, but his readers are more than welcome to call him Daddy. 

Q. What inspired the plot for "The Goode Fight?"

My sex life.

Q. Who would you cast as Stellan Goode and Taylor Haney if The Goode Fight ever became a film?

I really do not think in terms of characters/actors when writing because I find it obnoxious and presumptuous, but for some reason, when writing Taylor I actually had Jennifer Lawrence bouncing around in my head, presumably because of how awkward and goofy she is. I have no idea about Stellan; it'd definitely have to be someone with a dark, mercurial, intense side, and not just some cookie cutter little star of a CW series or something. (Hint: if any casting agents are reading this, I'm available and broke, so call me. And don't worry, my subpar bone structure can be greatly improved with a little makeup contouring and some prayer.)

Q. Do you think you're like Stellan, or are you the exact opposite of him?

I am a lot like Stellan, although that was not intentional - it just sort of happened as I wrote. I definitely have a dark side that borders on macabre, and I also struggle with how much of myself to reveal to people, and how soon into a relationship I should let my freak flag fly. (Read: it's usually too soon, and I send them running and screaming.) The main difference: he is much better looking than me, and I hate him for it.

Q. At what age did you realize writing was something you wanted to pursue?

As soon as I knew how to think.


Q. What is the most rewarding thing about being an author? What is the most challenging part?

The most rewarding part of being an author is the fact that anyone and everyone can share their opinions on your work whenever they want. The most challenging part of being an author is the fact that anyone and everyone can share their opinions on your work whenever they want. 

Q. Describe your writing ritual.

I am very obsessive and superstitious about my artistic routine, to the point where I cannot work if my writing chair is not aligned at a proper angle with the sun. I'd tell you more, but then I'd have to kill you, and after writing Goode Fight i am a little sick of thinking about dead people.

Q. What is your favorite thing to munch on while writing?

Coffee and prescription stimulants. I do not eat anymore. As an author/hopeless narcissist/Instagram addict, part of my job is not looking like the Hindenburg, and so I adjusted my diet accordingly.

Q. What are you currently reading?

Because I do not actually possess a social life, I am normally waist deep in anywhere between five to ten books. Usually I just reread the same books over and over again, as like I mentioned before, I am an obsessive freak by nature. Right now I am reading the Harry Potter series for the fourth time, Gone Girl for the third time, The Old Man And The Sea for the second time, and A Moveable Feast for the millionth time.

Q. What can your fans expect next?

First of all: I'm pretty sure I don't have any "fans," but laboring under the major delusion that I do, I'd tell them to expect more sexy weirdness, but not the kind of sexy weirdness they're expecting.

Q. What advice do you have for aspiring authors?

Don't just talk about writing - sit down and do it. When people tell you things, listen to them. When you tell yourself you'll never make it, ignore yourself. And most of all, live. Your job is to write about being alive, and it's easy to spot the fakers who have never actually gotten out there and lived. (Unless you're Emily Dickinson. I'm pretty sure she shut herself in a closet for decades, but judging by the depth of her writing, I swear that woman lived more than ten grandmothers put together.)

Connect with Seth


No comments: