Monday, February 27, 2012

Interview with Jayde Scott

Q. Can you describe "The Divorce Club" in twenty words or less?  

A young businesswoman’s hilarious attempts at dating again after a painful divorce while juggling the weird demands of her customers.

Q. When we first talked, you mentioned that the idea of the divorce club was originally a business idea that you turned into a book, did anything inspire this idea?  

A few friends and I were talking about how women often feel helpless, unloved and alone when going through a gruesome divorce and how hard it is to find one’s way around, from being a single mum to paying the bills or even entering the dating scene again. We were sharing experiences when we realized we all would have wished for something like a club we could’ve joined to help us through ours tough times. So, basically, the idea came after a relationship gone bad and sharing experiences with others.

Q. At what age did you know you wanted to write? 

I know it’s pretty cliché to say I’ve always known, but it’s true. As a kid, I was fascinated by books even before I could write. My mother had to teach me to spell before I started school because I just couldn’t wait to see my own words on paper.

Q. Are you participating in any 2012 book challenges?  If so, what are they?  If not, why not? 

I don’t usually participate in book challenges because I can’t seem able to keep any sort of resolution. However, I try to read a book a week because reading is one of my hobbies and my favorite way to unwind after a long day at work.

Q. What book are you currently reading? 

I’m currently reading a fantastic new paranormal romance novel by fellow author Chrissy Peebles. The book hasn’t been released yet. I’m one of the lucky few who have been offered an ARC and I’m extremely grateful for the opportunity.

Q. Who was your favorite character that was a member of the Divorce Club?  

Definitely Jamie. He’s smart, caring and simply adorable. He always knows what to say and how to make Sarah feel good about herself. I love people with a positive attitude in life.

Q. What's your favorite novel that you've ever written?  Why? 

I’m a mystery writer at heart so I’d have to say Bewitched, which is my new book coming out in March and the sequel to A Job From Hell. It’s just as funny as the first book but darker in topic with a few great twists to it. I loved taking a bit of time for research in order to introduce new paranormal elements and set a great premise for the next novel. But it’s the deep mystery in Bewitched that makes it my favourite novel that I’ve ever written.

Q. What is your all time favorite novel?  How did it become your favorite? 


Tough one. JRR Tolkien is my favourite author ever but I also love everything written by Anne Rice, particularly The Queen of the Damned, which is one of the most original novels I’ve ever read. I first read it at 19 and found it so fascinating it inspired me to create my own paranormal world, which is why it’ll always be my favorite.

Q. Do you feel as if though you can relate to Sarah Davis, if "The Divorce Club"? 

Definitely. I see a lot of me and my life in Sarah, from past experiences to attitudes and personality. She’s someone who tries to juggle a lot and doesn’t give up, and that’s exactly who I am.

Q. This semester I'm taking an Adaptation class for school, which is where we learn how to turn novels into films; which leads me to my question, is The Divorce Club a novel that you can envision as a film someday? 

I believe The Divorce Club has all the necessary elements that would help a producer turn it into a great movie: an easy to follow plotline, diverse characters, romance, and a bit of mystery. Coupled with a few humorous moments, and this could be a great chick flick starring Renee Zellwegger. 

Q. Lastly, what advice would you give to any aspiring writers out there? 

Learn your craft and, whatever happens, don’t give up.

Visit Jayde Scott's website here.
To buy Jayde Scott's books.

No comments: