Sunday, July 29, 2012

Review: Circle of Silence

Title:  Circle of Silence
Author:  Carol M. Tanzman
Genre:  Young Adult
Publisher:  Harlequin Teen
Release Date:  August 1, 2012
File Size/Pages:  483 KB/288 pgs
Source:  NetGalley

My Rating:  4/5

Summary:  The biggest story of my life could be how it ends.  It's my turn to run a Campus News crew, and I've put together a team that can break stories wide open. And Washington Irving High has a truly great one to cover, if only we can find a lead.  A secret society has formed in our school. It announced its presence with pranks: underwear on the flagpole, a toilet in the hallway, cryptic notes. A circle of silence keeps the society a mystery. No one knows its members, agenda or initiation secrets—until a student lands in the hospital under strange circumstances.  I will blow this story wide open and stop others from being hurt…or worse. And while my ex, Jagger, might want to help, I don't trust him yet. (And, no, not because of our past together. That is not important to this story.)  But whether you find me, Valerie Gaines, reporting in front of the camera, or a victim in the top story of the newscast…be sure to watch Campus News at 9:00 a.m. this Friday.

Review:  Valerie Gaines, aka ValGal, is a a Senior in high school who has just been voted Producer, in her team, for Campus News.  Her best friend, Marci Lee, is also in her group; the girls are super excited, that is, until Jagger, Val's ex-boyfriend, is thrown into the same group as them.  Soon after Val becomes Producer, weird things start happening around the school; a toilet in the hallway, underwear on the flagpole, threatening messages, and so forth.  Like a true Producer, Valerie hops on this story and doesn't let up…even if it means receiving a few threatening messages from MP.  When these pranks start happening, as a reader, you immediately want to know who MP is…is it a group?  Is it one person?  Is it someone from the Campus News team?  Is it someone close to anybody reporting the stories?  I appreciated Val's dedication to the stories, her team, and her role as Producer.  As I was reading this novel, I had a lot of mixed emotions; I disliked Val's little sister, I felt sorry for her sister, and then towards the end of the novel, I understood her.  I loved the friendship between Val and Marci, and even Val and Jagger, despite their history.  After the first prank, I was super anxious to find out just who MP was and what their meaning was behind the pranks and forming the group; I had my suspicions from the beginning, but I just needed it confirmed by Tanzman.  I really enjoyed this novel, but as someone so close to my siblings, I just wished Val and her sister were a little closer.  The thrill and curiosity of wanting to know MP really made this novel hard to put down!!

No comments: