Saturday, March 22, 2014

Review: Natural Beauty by Leslie DuBois

Title:  Natural Beauty
Author:  Leslie DuBois
Genre:  Romance
Publisher:  n/a
Release Date:  February 13, 2014
File Size/Pages:  463 KB/188 pgs
Source:  Bought

My Rating:  5/5

Summary:  Over the next year, can Mahogany Brown learn to love herself … and her hair?

Damaged. Stressed. Out of control. Those words could describe not only Mahogany’s hair but her love-life. When she realizes that she has spent the last seven years being someone she’s not in order to please her man, she decides it’s time to take control and find out who she really is. Join Mahogany’s journey of self-discovery … through her hair.

This novella blends fact and fiction as it relates real-life advice and tips for the newly natural sister.

Review:  I'm usually not one to read novellas, but I couldn't wait to read this one for two reasons:  one, because Leslie DuBois is one of my all time favorite authors and I would read anything she published, even if it was only five pages! Two, I'm currently in the process of transitioning from relaxed to natural hair, it's the best hair decision I've ever made! Anyway, the novella tells the story of Mahogany Brown and the journey she goes through with her hair and discovering herself. After her break up with her boyfriend of seven years, Mahogany chops all of her hair off, which she regrets the next morning. Throughout the novella, as Mahogany hair starts to grow out, a piece of herself starts to grow as well. Aside from the characters, one thing I absolutely loved about this novella were the names of the chapters. I also enjoyed the tips as well. As someone who is in the early stages of transitioning, I can definitely relate to Mahogany's love/hate relationship with her curls. Overall, I thought this novella was really cute and helpful. Thank you, Leslie DuBois for writing such an amazing story...and for writing again! I seriously wouldn't be able to function without your novels!!

No comments: